This is an archived static version of the original phylobabble.org discussion site.

Sustaining a phyloinformatics community post-NESCent

arlin

Hi everyone. One of the consequences of NESCent closing is that its mailing lists will be going away in the coming months. I was part of 2 working groups that maintained email lists. The 2 lists include pretty much everyone who has attended a hackathon at NESCent (wg-phyloinformatics, which began in 2006, and hip, which began in 2011).

We considered just migrating to a new non-NESCent email list, but an alternative would be to encourage current list members to sign up on phylobabble. If we could start a topic on phyloinformatics, then presumably users could set up a feed and it would have the same immediacy as an email list.

What do you think? I welcome your thoughts on that idea.

ematsen

For what it’s worth, I’d be happy to add a phyloinformatics topic.

This plan would make it easier for folks not currently on the mailing lists to interact.

arlin

OK, let’s go ahead and do it. I can notify our peeps as soon as the topic is set up. Is there a way to watch a topic rather than a particular thread? I didn’t see how to do that. In order for this to have the immediacy we want, there needs to be a way for people to get notified whenever there is activity in the topic area.

ematsen

Sounds great. There is a way to get notifications for all events. Visit the category page, in this case http://phylobabble.org/c/phyloinformatics, and then “watch” the topic like so:

I have a stub description for the topic, but if you could provide a better (and less exclusive) description that would be lovely.

hlapp

How about the following: Interoperability, reproducibility, sharing, and reuse of phylogenetic data and software

ematsen

@hlapp that’s great! It’s updated.