This is an archived static version of the original phylobabble.org discussion site.

Feedback please!

ematsen

I’m glad to see so many people visiting and posting! I want to hear any thoughts you all might have about improving the site. Post them by replying to this thread.

ematsen

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or the Clear Pin button is pressed.

ematsen

I can say that right now we are getting slammed with requests, and I apologize for slow response time.

I am going to upgrade right now. Apologies if there is a temporary outage.

ematsen

OK, I’ve upgraded to a Medium M3 instance, and we are back online.

josephwb

Much faster. It was pretty slow there for a while.

rob_lanfear

One issue I had is that new users are limited to 2 posts per thread (or maybe it was more than that, but there was a low limit).

I can see the reasoning, but it meant that I couldn’t continue a discussion. Is there a way to change or remove these limits?

Rob

ematsen

Hm, I didn’t know that until today.

I’m a little hesitant to change things, given that the people who wrote this software have a lot of experience with similar areas. I’ll think about it.

rob_lanfear

Fair enough. It was only annoying for one thread. The limit has already increased for me.

The benefits to the greater good are probably worth occasional annoyance to chatty people like me.

BrianFoley

It may be good to leave this as default, but the administrators should learn how to upgrade accounts from “new user” to the next level up, and be prepared for requests to do so. If that is a hassle, there may be some way to “Vet” users and allow them to move on from the “new user” status based on some credentials.

josephwb

So, I am probably missing something here, but is there a way to see who is signed up for phylobabble? It would help in mentioning people in relevant posts.

ematsen

I don’t think that there is. However, it does a pretty good job of doing inexact matching, so you could just try!

BrianFoley

I was wondering the same thing. Today I looked and could only find a way to search for one person at a time, I could not find a list of all members.